Sunday 21 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Raybon Kan

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Raybon Kan



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
RAYBON WITHOUT A CAUSE

2)    Why?
I’m a rebel. In the sense that I disagree with what I’m told. It’s a guarantee that if you tell me something is a rule, I’ll disagree with it. It’s glamorous to be a rebel, but probably you’d get the exact same result from a mopey teenager. Mopey Teenager Without a Cause doesn’t have the same ring.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
I’ll explore ten commandments then divide them by seven sins. Then I’ll go forth and multiply the answer by the average lifespan and the number of stars in the sky.

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
Last year’s festival has finished? I still have tickets! I don’t craft shows. I prefer a show to ferment. I like to open the cap on a show and wonder what it smells like.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
21, now that’s a blast from the past. When I was 21, it was still safe to be 21: Facebook and the Internet (and probably even high-speed faxing and long-distance calling) hadn’t been invented. There was still this thing called privacy. If you suffered a black-out or memory loss, the whole world wasn’t going to remind you about it forever.

6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
It frightens me to look at the program. I shall try to see everyone who’s not on exactly at the same time as my show. If my show comes on late, blame the other show I was watching for not finishing on time.


7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
Comedy is not a scene. It’s a collection of misfits. It’s a symptom of something more serious. I’m still going thru a Louis CK phase, mixed with a Stephen Colbert phase. You can go crazy analysing why you like something, but the feeling is: “Wow, I wish I’d thought of that.”

8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
My favourite interaction is when the audience interacts with Ticketek. Or eventfinder. Or that guy selling his free ticket on the street.

9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
I MC’ed a ball in Dubai. It was super-fancy, black-tie and beyond, during the Dubai Sevens. The trip over was so fancy I forced myself to stay awake the whole time to feel I was enjoying every minute.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
It’s this thought: didn’t I do this already?

11)   How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
I promise them an epiphany wrapped in a catharsis, sprinkled with gritty bits of truth that will stick in their teeth. And you can quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review Cast: Cailee Spaeny, Jacob Elordi Director: Sofia Coppola Adapted from Priscilla Presley's own memoir Elvis an...