Thursday 13 July 2017

NZIFF Q&A - Paul Wolffram for WHAT LIES THAT WAY

NZIFF Q&A - Paul Wolffram for WHAT LIES THAT WAY


Talking What Lies That Way with Paul Wolffram.


My film is......
What Lies That Way – A film by and about magic. A journey into the spiritual and creative lives of a remote rainforest dwelling community in Papua New Guinea. The film explores the local spiritual engagement with music and dance through the eyes and experience of an outsider, New Zealander Paul Wolffram. In order to obtain knowledge of these practices Paul is invited to initiate into the shamanic practice known as Buai. To do this he must fast without food or water for four days.
What Lies That Way

The best thing about being at the NZIFF is......
The opportunity to screen this film to my home audience.

The Moment I'm most proud of in my film is......
Survival

The thing that makes me the proudest of my team in my film is..... 
Working in the difficult rainforest regions of Papua New Guinea was a real challenge. Without power, running water or transport the cinematographer Luke Frater had to carry his equipment long distances through the jungle in the heat and extreme humidity. Through all this Luke managed to get some extraordinary footage that captures the beauty of the region and unique way of life.

The reason I carried on with this film when things got tough was.....
to find out… What Lies That Way. Can Shaman really travel in their dreams? Can one really communicate with spiritual beings? Will this process really deliver creative powers and imaginative insight?

The moment I think that will resonate most with the audience when they see my film is.......

The film is an opportunity to experience something of another perception and understanding of the world. There is no one moment that delivers this, it is an experience as a whole.

The thing I hope most people will take from watching my film is.....
A new appreciation and openness to spiritual ways of being and understanding of life and creativity.

More on What Lies That Way at NZIFF Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

What's on Shudder in April

What's on Shudder in April Here's everything streaming on Shudder on April. SHUDDER ORIGINALS AND EXCLUSIVES  Infested  Streaming Ex...