Wednesday 3 November 2021

NZIFF 2021 Film fest Q&A - Lula Cucchiara - Fiona Clark, Unafraid

NZIFF 2021 Film fest Q&A - Lula Cucchiara -  Fiona Clark, Unafraid

NZIFF 2021 Film fest Q&A - Fiona Clark, Unafraid


How's your 2021 been?

I guess a rollercoaster, probably like everyone else’s! We have had ups and downs, but I can’t complain, especially when I look at my home country and many other 3rd world countries, it really makes me realize how lucky we are here! 

Give us the elevator pitch for your film in 10 words.

Behind the lens of a photographer fearlessly documenting Aotearoa's subcultures

The one moment of your film that stands out

The way in which society revolted against Fiona's artwork that included her friends enjoying themselves and feeling free during a time of revolution. Fiona was pushed out of the art world, black listed for her work that was deemed to be immoral. I think this topic touches a lot of people as it truly is unbelievable for a lot of people to imagine that this would happen in the Aotearoa that exists today. 

The one moment of your film that you wish you could have changed

I can't think of a moment but I do wish that more of the beautiful people in Fiona's world at the time were still alive to see this film and to see how far we have come thanks to them living so bravely. While making the film I was often reminded of how incredibly fortunate I am to be living without fear for myself or my friends and family. It is because of their strength and courage that I have the freedom today. 

The one moment of your film that you think audiences will connect to

I think over all our audience will hopefully connect with Fiona's deep passion to protect mother nature. Now, information is readily available for us to be aware of how incredibly destructive the human race has been to the environment. I would hope that we are all trying to do what we can to help reduce our footprint on this earth, but Fiona’s devotion is very inspiring and hopefully this will allow our audience to reflect on what they can do more.  

The one moment of production during a Covid world that saw you enraged by the pandemic

It was Auckland where you would find fearless Queens gleefully posing for Elam student Fiona. It was Auckland where Fiona found photography as an escape from the arduous operations and exams following a life threatening car accident. And it was Auckland where her work was protested and condemned so much she was blacklisted from the artworld. 

So to have our premiere in a theatre in Auckland as part of the Whānau Mārama, New Zealand International Film Festival 2021 would have truly felt like a triumph. We are still heartbroken that we can’t celebrate this moment with Fiona in Auckland, especially when this is my first feature. 

But hey, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. At this point we are just glad to have our health and we are grateful for the film to see the rest of the country at this time.

The one moment of production during a Covid world that really saw you seize your film's concept and refuse to give up

I wouldn't say Covid seized the film's concept but we definitely rolled with the punches. Cannes Docs Marché du Film would have been a dream come true to attend in person however we just had to make due with being online and it was a very interesting process being the first to experience this new way of connecting.

What's next for you?

I am a workaholic so I'm always working away at a number of different personal projects. At the moment I'm exploring my roots and experimenting with ideas for a narrative film that focuses on what it is to be a Latinx immigrant in Aotearoa.

The one film from the 2021 New Zealand International film Festival that everyone should see - apart from yours

I’m very excited to  see ‘The Power of the Dog’ by Jane’s Campion on the big screen! Crossing all my fingers and toes that we are able to be out of this lockdown in Tāmaki Makaurau very soon so we can all travel to Wellington and enjoy the festival screenings over there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review Cast: Cailee Spaeny, Jacob Elordi Director: Sofia Coppola Adapted from Priscilla Presley's own memoir Elvis an...