Thursday 23 July 2020

Jumbo director Zoe Wittock - New Zealand International Film Festival 2020 Q&A

New Zealand International Film Festival Q&A 2020: Zoe Wittock, Jumbo


Your Name
ZoƩ Wittock

Title of your film
JUMBO

Tell us about your 2020
2020 has literally been the biggest roller coaster ride I’ve ever taken ! My film, Jumbo, started its festival run with the Sundance Film Festival in January and went on to the Berlinale which just as exciting! What a dream, I thought, as I was waiting for the film’s French release in March 2020… Which, of course, never came as Covid-19 got the best of the whole wide world.  And we’re only halfway through the year… Can you imagine?! 2020 is about uncertainty, I think. So I’m trying to just roll with the punches and make the most of them as I keep developing new projects. 

How has Covid-19 impacted you and your film?
It pretty much destroyed its theatrical release. Less than 20% of the usual moviegoers have stepped back into the theatres to watch movies as Jumbo made its new release in France on July 1 after the theatres reopened. It seems that despite the intense safety measures that have been put in place in cinemas, people still felt more comfortable watching films from their couch on one of the many new VOD platforms they subscribed to during the various confinement periods in the world. Which, to be honest, is understandable. I actually like to believe that this will become part of Jumbo’s identity as time passes, theatres (hopefully) come back to normal, and people slowly learn about the film and its history. The lucky thing for us is that we had just enough time early this year to screen at major festivals, which, we all know, is essential to an independent film’s career. I’m ecstatic that some festivals were able to keep on through this crisis, even if their screening “platforms” had to change from “real” to “virtual”. This is giving the film the exposure needed for it to exist. It is indeed   festivals that the film is, for now, really finding its audience! Which, to be honest, is already a huge win ! 
New Zealand International Film Festival Q&A 2020: Zoe Wittock, Jumbo
Jumbo

What's the moment you wish audiences were seeing in a theatre, and why?
“Elephant man” – I actually went to see it as it played in select theatres after Paris’ reopening of theatre (post-COVID). And wow! It was just the biggest emotional punch I’d had in years. The first time I had seen it (on a small screen unfortunately), I had been moved, but I couldn’t remember it as one of the most exceptional screening experience I had had. Originally left with only a vague memory of the film, I am now haunted by it… The solitude of the characters, their distress and most importantly their beauty… I think this is film essential to the morose times we are currently experiencing.  
“Interstellar” or “Apocalypse Now” – More obvious choices of cinematic experiences – but still worth a thousand rides! 

What have you learned about film-making, the film-making community and the film-going audience during the pandemic?
I’ve learned that even the biggest fan of theatre screens have lost (a bit of ) the habit of going to theatres. Hopefully this will change, but it most definitely forces you to think of how to make sure your next films remain a true cinematic experience that can only really exist on the big screen ! 

What's the single best moment of your film?
I think that’s up to the audience to decide. I of course have my favourite moments, but they wouldn’t be the ones you’d expect. It has more to do with the artistic freedom I felt as I was shooting them then the actual end result. ;) 

What do you plan to do next in terms of film-making?
I’m most definitely looking for character stories that can be both emotional and caustic at the same time!  Or at least one or the other. The two things I love the most when watching a film is to be emotionally moved (if I cry, even better! Haha) and/or to pushed to think outside of the box when asked to be rooting for a character. 
And then of course, if there is a fun visual component to the film, it’s always a plus ! I like to play with genres to elevate intimate character stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Bad Behaviour: DVD Review

Bad Behaviour: DVD Review Writer, director and executive producer Alice Englert may have taken on a little too much in this scrappy, messy f...