Sunday 4 August 2024

NZIFF Q&A - Whetū Fala, director, Taki Rua Theatre

NZIFF Q&A -  Whetū Fala, director, Taki Rua Theatre

My film is " Taki Rua Theatre - Breaking Barriers "


The best thing about being at the NZIFF is 
having our film play at the Embassy Theatre Poneke Wellington, Lumiere Theatre Otautahi Christchurch, Len Lye Cinema Ngāmotu all cinemas that I have loved going to. It is a dream come true to have made a film that is screening in these iconic film venues


The Moment I'm most proud of in my film is 
showing te reo Māori as a language of choice in a western theatre tradition. Unexpected delight. 

NZIFF Q&A -  Whetū Fala, director, Taki Rua Theatre


The thing that makes me the proudest of my team in my film is the way all these amazing artists Māori, Pasifika, pākeha, tangata tiriti all collaborated to make " Taki Rua Theatre - Breaking Barriers " an inspiring story everyone can understand and enjoy.  

 

The Moments I wished I'd have kept in the film are all the waiata tautoko songs of thanks that the schools sang for when we were filming the Taki Rua troupe of " Te Kuia me te Pungawerewere" each song was upbeat, especially from the schools that have little to no te reo Māori speakers, their joy and appreciation in seeing the live performance was breathtaking. 


The reason I carried on with this film when things got tough was Māori language and culture is precious, if we don't treasure it then who will? 


The moment I think that will resonate most with the audience when they see my film is 
how a group of performing artists with little resources just got together and did it. Built a community led Māori Pākeha theatre. 


The thing I hope most people will take from watching my film is 
how Māori language and culture belongs to everyone in Aotearoa. 

 

The one film I'm looking forward to seeing at the NZIFF is " Haka Party Incident " by Katie Wolfe our whanaungā.


This film is playing as part of the 2024 Whanau Marama New Zealand International Film Festival. For more details, visit nziff.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

The Convert: Blu Ray Review

The Convert: Blu Ray Review  Cast: Guy Pearce, Tioreore Ngatai-Melbourne, Antonio Te Maioha, Jacqueline Mckenzie, Lawrence Makoare  Director...