Thursday 1 August 2019

NZIFF 2019 Q&A with Ben Berman, director of The Amazing Johnathan Documentary

NZIFF 2019 Q&A with Ben Berman, director of The Amazing Johnathan Documentary


My film is.... The Amazing Johnathan Documentary

The moment I'm most proud of is ...
Embracing the unforeseen and unplanned. At the start I started making what I thought the film would be and then it changed and I had to lean into the problem instead of running away.

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is ...
I’m a pretty persistent person and I knew I couldn’t give up so just found other ways to attack the movie.
NZIFF 2019 Q&A with Ben Berman, director of The Amazing Johnathan Documentary

The one moment that will resonate with an audience is …
Drugs.

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is … During the filming I kept asking Johnathan what he thought the title should be and every six months I would get a new answer. I really wanted to include that but it just didn’t work.

The thing I want people to take from this film is ...
Just question everything and everyone. It’s healthy to question what is real and what’s not.

The one thing I'd say to aspiring filmmakers is … Be persistent and don’t give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Anatomy of a Fall: Blu Ray Review

Anatomy of a Fall: Blu Ray Review A film that's about micro-aggressions, subtleties and nuance, Justine Triet's tale of a writer who...