Tuesday 22 October 2024

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

The Armageddon Expo hits Auckland over Labour Weekend with a top lineup of visiting stars and talent.

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

As well as a chance to see Jason Momoa in person, there are plenty of other stars, gamers have a treat in store with the release of the new Sonic video game at Armageddon Expo, Sonic X Shadow Power – with a huge pavilion dedicated to the game. And Sonic is just one of the gaming franchises featured, with Call of Duty Black Ops 6, Astro Bot, Just Dance, TMNT Mutants Unleashed, Diablo IV, Dragon Ball Z Sparking Zero and Act 2 VR Minecraft – some of which will be release for the first time in New Zealand at the expo.

Fan experiences are a big part of the Expo, with attractions including a giant animated robot that talks to fans, massive Cosplay Parade, Airsoft Apocalypse, Racing Simulators and both K-pop and J-pop performances to name a few of the features.

Talking of Sonic, Lee Madjoub, who plays Agent Stone in the Sonic the Hedgehog movies took some time to answer a few questions ahead of the show.

Hi Lee, how are you?
Hi there! I’m doing great, thank you! Excited to be here!

Welcome back to New Zealand - what is it that keeps attracting you back?
I have been to New Zealand before, and I absolutely loved it! Really happy to be back. The people are so kind and welcoming. The Armageddon Expo team has always been extremely warm. I've always found myself attracted to New Zealand. When I played rugby in university, I always watched the All Blacks highlights and listened to the Haka. I then got more curious about Maori culture and started to research the meaning behind the Haka and learned that there were different types and occassions. There's also something about the nature and landscape of New Zealand that I find calming. Reminds me of home.

You've become synonymous with many iconic franchises - Sonic, Assassin's Creed, Pokemon - which have you loved the most and why?
Each franchise holds a special place in my heart. To be honest, most characters I've portrayed hold a special place in my heart. I played Sonic on Sega Genesis when I was young and Jim Carrey has been someone I've admired and respected since Ace Ventura and In Living Color. On top of that, to be working with a huge studio like Paramount has been a goal for a long time. Everyone involved in the Sonic universe has been so welcoming and I love working with the team, and I appreciate the love and support from the fans. Assassin's Creed has always been one of my favorite games, and to be part of that franchise is incredible. Getting to portray the titular character and for the story to take part in the 9th century Middle East was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I love that the franchise went back to the original feel of being stealthy. Pokemon Apokelypse was a fan made project I did with friends early in my career. Opportunities were few and far between and we came together to do something fun and creative. I still wish we would have had the opportunity to turn it into a mini series or feature. It was a blast. The crazy thing that fans have pointed out is that my career has proven that you can go from making fan films to being hired to do what you love. It's wild. I'm told many people find it inspiring.

What is it about our audiences that prove so enticing - and do you generally enjoy the convention scene?
The audiences here are incredibly enthusiastic, passionate, warm, and welcoming! I love the convention scene because it’s such a great opportunity to connect with fans and share in the excitement of our favorite shows, movies and games.

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

What's been your most favourite fan interaction during your years on the circuit?
I've had many favorite and memorable interactions with fans. One fan told me that my social media posts helped them during some tough times and they decided to pursue their dream of being an artist. Another was here, in New Zealand. Either Wellington or Christchurch. A little child was dressed as Shadow the Hedgehog during one of my panels, and we whisper chatted for a few minutes. Absolutely heartwarming. 

Did you ever expect the Sonic movie series would be as popular as it is, and what is it about working with Jim Carrey that's endeared you to so many fans? Have you ever managed to make him crack up at all?
I always knew the first film would do well, but I had no idea it would resonate with so many! It’s been amazing! Working with Jim Carrey has been a highlight—his comedic genius is unmatched. He's been extremely kind to me. I’ve definitely seen him crack up a few times during filming. We've had a blast together. 

Sonic 3 is out at Christmas - what can you tell us about that - give us a secret no one yet knows...
I wish I could say something, but I can't! I signed my life away on the NDA. Joking! What I can say is that this movie is bigger than the other two. Way more action. Way more stakes. I'm so excited we get a release during the holiday season! It makes it just that little bit more special.

You were in the ABCs of Death, which was the brainchild of NZer Ant Timpson - how was that project? Working on ABCs of Death was such a unique experience! Ant Timpson has a brilliant vision, and it was great to be part of something so innovative and out of the box.

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

If you could take on a dream role, what would it be and why?
A dream role for me would be to work on a sci-fi epic. Ensemble cast. Maybe elements of horror/thriller. Some of my favourite films are Alien, Sunshine, The Thing, Life, and so many more. I love sci-fi!

Do you get chance to walk around conventions like Armageddon when you're not meeting and greeting? And if so, what do you get as a vibe from looking around?
I do love to wander around when I get a chance! The vibe is always electric, filled with creativity and excitement. It’s inspiring to see so many passionate fans and artists in one place!

What's next for you?
I recently wrapped up the Amazon series, Upload. I had so much fun on that one. Great cast and crew, and such a collaborative environment, which is so important to me. Sonic 3 is releasing soon, and we're about to start promotion on it!

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

And finally, what's one secret from the projects you've been involved in that you've never told anyone?That's a tough one to answer. Need to think about it. Oh, here's one. Before my audition for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency, my cat scratched my face. Tiny scratch which was no fault of her own. But I panicked a little, thinking "what am I supposed to do? Makeup won't hide it!" I decided to lean into it, and during my audition slate, I introduced myself in character with a British accent and said something along the lines of, "and please ignore the war wound I suffered at the hands of my tiger... (looked down in shame) it was my cat." I was told it definitely didn't hurt my chances. 

See Lee and all the other Armageddon guests over Labour Weekend. For more, go to armageddonexpo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A

Lee Madjoub of Sonic The Hedgehog - Armageddon Expo Q&A The Armageddon Expo hits Auckland over Labour Weekend with a top lineup of visit...