Saturday 14 July 2018

NZIFF Q&A - Stray director Dustin Feneley

NZIFF Q&A - Stray director Dustin Feneley


My film is.... 

An arthouse drama about two damaged strangers who give each other strength to move on with their lives.

The moment I'm most proud of is....

Getting the film made, against a lot of odds and many obstacles. And the incredibly positive responses from people who have seen the film and see the unique value in what we as a team and crew accomplished on screen.
Stray

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is.....
I believed in it with every fibre of my being. No one could dissuade me, although some tried. But more people believed in the film than didn’t, and that’s ultimately what allowed it to be made. The people.

The one moment that will resonate with an audience is.......
Seeing two damaged strangers connect and give each other some tenderness and humanity.

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is........
A scene of the two main characters, Jack and Grace, naked in a bath together making jokes. We didn’t cut it for any censorship or modesty reasons. It was a funny scene in isolation, but it just didn’t fit the overall tone of the film.

The thing I want people to take from this film is ......
The importance of human connection and resilience. And the importance of form and craft in cinematic storytelling.

The reason I love the NZIFF is.......
It’s the only opportunity in New Zealand to see such a diversity and breadth of cinema on the big screen - the way the filmmaker intended and designed their film to be experienced.

What the 50th NZIFF means to me is......
New Zealand has enjoyed a relatively long history of celebrating world cinema on our shores. It’s a beautiful thing to be able to screen my debut feature at NZIFF in this special anniversary year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

What's on Shudder in April

What's on Shudder in April Here's everything streaming on Shudder on April. SHUDDER ORIGINALS AND EXCLUSIVES  Infested  Streaming Ex...