Monday 16 July 2018

NZIFF Q&A - Costa Botes

NZIFF Q&A - Costa Botes


My film is...
Angie. It’s the story of a woman who is trying to understand and heal from past traumas. The film is really about the consequences of love denied, thwarted, betrayed, or exploited; and the power of love to restore even the most broken of souls.

The moment I'm most proud of is....
Every moment when my camera was in the right place and turned on. One such moment comes very early on. A dove, trapped in a room, beats against a window trying to get out. A perfect metaphor for my subject. Any moment captured as it’s happening, without any warning or preparation, always feels special.
Angie: NZIFF

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is.....
I felt like there was something to say that was important and interesting.

The one moment that will resonate with an audience is.......
I think there will be several such moments, but I wouldn’t presume to tell anyone what they might be. We all bring our own emotional and intellectual baggage into the cinema. A film is only completed when it meets an audience, and every person will see a different film.

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is........
Nothing. I’m pretty ruthless. Anything that’s not in the film was left out for a good reason.

The thing I want people to take from this film is ......
A sense of hope. And empathy for others.

The reason I love the NZIFF is.......
I’ve been to a lot of film festivals round the world. For lovers of film, ours is right up there amongst the very best. They’re also respectful and supportive of film-makers.

What the 50th NZIFF means to me is......
Five years making Angie weren’t wasted. I’m looking forward to sharing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

What's on Shudder in April

What's on Shudder in April Here's everything streaming on Shudder on April. SHUDDER ORIGINALS AND EXCLUSIVES  Infested  Streaming Ex...