Saturday 6 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: ADAM WRIGHT from Gloriously Average

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: ADAM WRIGHT from Gloriously Average



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
Gloriously Average


2)  Why?
Because everything is hyped up beyond belief these days, You don’t need to show a man flying to mars on a rocket ship to sell a chocolate bar, sometimes the real glory can be found in the mundane, the average. Of course if you’re selling a mars bar the man on mars works quite well.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?

Every day and all around us, things are happening with are so stupid they’re hilarious or so frustrating that the only option is to laugh. We want to capture those moments

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?

Roughly a year. It’s an ever evolving process, if a joke has hit big, I’ve tried to refine it without over using it getting it ready to unleash at the fest.



5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21?

Oh you couldn’t possibly print those. Actually on reflection there isn’t much controversial about sitting around at home eating precooked sausages for dinner. For my 21st Birthday my mum gave me a quiche dish. That tells you all you need to know about my rock n roll lifestyle


6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
I’m looking forward to seeing some of my friends in comedy perform, Particularly Brad Zimmerman and Sam Smith who are both doing solo shows this year. I’m also looking forward to seeing my old mate Jack Dee, although he hasn’t returned my calls, the reason being, that he doesn’t know me.

7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?

In Wellington, the last 12 months have seen an explosion in comedy. A year ago there was one weekly night of comedy - that was the scene. Now there are shows like The Medicine (weekly) Comedy Cave (monthly) and Comedy Monthly, I’m not too sure on the frequency of that one, but if I had to guess I’d say every 4 weeks.

8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?

I don’t tend to do a lot of audience interaction but I do recall doing a joke about people falling asleep in movies, and I looked down and saw in the front row, a guy who I’m fairly certain was asleep. It was very funny but also quite disheartening at the same time


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
Getting to the Final of the Raw Comedy Quest 2012. That was cool.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?

Probably the showcases they have at the start of the festival. They’re always quality and a great chance to preview a variety of acts both local and international. I’d highly recommend getting along to one live if you can; it’s a different vibe than on TV.

11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?

I would say, Look, there is a lot of top quality comedy out there this year. You can see some great, Grass Roots level comedy from a local act that you could one day tell your kids about. Of course that will only work if we go on to stardom, otherwise it’s a boring story about two blokes your kids have never heard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review A genre film mixing pulp thrills and a recreation of a 70s late night talk show, Late Night with the...