Saturday 6 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Luke Heggie

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Luke Heggie


1) Tell us what your show is called this year? Mega Dry

 2)  Why?
It's based around working in a bottle shop. I'm mildly known for quite a dry sense of humour. A lot of beers are called “Extra Dry”, “Super Dry” etc.. Someone with a keen comedic eye will see what I've done here.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
The stupidity of the general public.

 4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
This is my first time at the NZ comedy festival. But I've been writing the show for about 5 months.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
I was at University, which was fun but useless. I was also trying to rid the world of beer one at a time, watching a lot of Simpsons, and attempting to trick girls into liking me. All this while finding time to service the habit of throwing eggs at cars that I was yet to grow out of.

6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
Socially, I don't know anyone. I'll be staying on a  stranger's couch, and banking on it being a “they're more scared of me than me of them” situation. On stage, I'm looking forward to seeing the Idiots of Ants, Fan Fiction Comedy, and Jack Dee.

7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
There's a lot of groundbreaking weird shit. It's not my cup of tea generally. I rate some quality comedians like Chris Wainhouse and Bruce Griffiths, (who most people have never heard of) who make a fist of getting the job done, without the benefits of being a television personality, or big name.

8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I performed at a music festival where there was a comedy tent and about 2000 people watching. For 3 of my ten minutes, a group of 30 or so guys were at the front chanting “Fuck off! Fuck off! Fuck off! Etc” It wasn't great, but I don't get a lot of audience interaction. I usually just plough on if some fart in a jar yells something out.
9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
 
One day last December I was in Coober Pedy (a South Australian desert mining town) and being roundly ignored/hated by a bunch of miners in their orange prison uniforms while the 40 degree sun belted on my face and flies were crawling into my mouth. A few days later, I was supporting Stephen Merchant at the Sydney Opera House. This one was at night time, and I don't think they let any miners in.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
Isn't that cute. (See I'm happy to make smart remarks like that, but let's just see who's laughing when I get my head punched in in Auckland Huh? Not me. But I don't laugh that much anyway).

11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show? 
I ask them nicely. Twice. And when that doesn't work, I threaten them with violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review A genre film mixing pulp thrills and a recreation of a 70s late night talk show, Late Night with the...