Sunday 21 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Hayley Sproull

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Hayley Sproull



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
Outsiders’ Guide


2)  Why?
Because it is a whirlwind guide to life, and the reason yours doesn’t work.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
It’s about those elephants in the room that we all experience at one point or another shown by two hilariously tall and awkward comedians.

 4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
All my time. I’m a joke a minute machine.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
I’m 23 so 21 seems almost too long ago to remember. I was drunk a lot, and also was at drama school, which is potentially the worst combination in the world. I lived on my own in a 70’s vibe house, so a lot of parties, a lot of carpet stains. From drinks. And spray paint.

6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
Last year I worked really hard to get Billy Connolly to come and see my show, and he didn’t. And I will never forgive him. So if he would like to fly back over to Wellington and apologise, then I look forward to that. Otherwise, Terry Alderton gave me some very good advice last year, and I would like to let him know how it played out (which is that it played out very well, chur Terry).


7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
I think the comedy scene is changing. At least I like to think it is. Right now I’m digging on original comedy theatre. For obvious reasons. (If it’s not obvious, it’s because original comedy theatre is what I make)

8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I ate a lovely old man’s frozen yogurt. He had come in with it, and I was improvising with the audience when I forgot what I was supposed to say next. To fill in time, I grabbed this poor man’s tub and his own personal teaspoon and dove right in. I got through half his tub before I remembered where I was in the script and handed it back. He didn’t miss a beat – he licked the spoon while eyeballing me, and then quickly ate the rest while laughing his little pants off. We will share that bond for life.


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
My show from last year’s festival Miss Fletcher Sings the Blues has been a gem in my life this past year. But my most memorable performance would have to be it’s very first performance. I had made it in my lounge and it hadn’t been seen by anyone but myself and the reflection in my piano. It could have gone so wrong. Luckily, it went so right.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
A big yellow man who is laughing at me.

 11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
I won an award last year. So you know I’m funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review A genre film mixing pulp thrills and a recreation of a 70s late night talk show, Late Night with the...