Sunday 21 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Tom Furniss

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Tom Furniss



1) Tell us what your show is called this year? The Diary of Gordon Leaf Cooper


2)  Why? Because it’s based on a diary I found that belonged to a 16-year-old called Gordon Leaf-Cooper in 1984. I’ve crafted most of the really sad things from his diary/life into comedy.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
Tragedy, heartache, and dysfunctional families, set against a backdrop of 1984 Whakatane.


4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival? A long time. It has occupied my thoughts for maybe 20 hours a week for the last 6 months. But in actuality, this story has been 29 years in the making (since 1984).

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
I loved 21. I was probably at my most prolific with women (3) and dangerously good at drinking beer (averaging about 7 a Saturday). It’s a much simpler time now, but my body and my facebook timeline will never forget 2009/10.




6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
My friends who come to my show. Unfortunately I don’t see them much anymore, such is life (c’est la vie). But they always come out for my show and I love their support/making them laugh.


7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
It’s good. There’s a young Italian woman named Shem who is doing fantastic things ATM. She’s legally blind and missing her right arm from her elbow down, and the way she turns that misfortune to comedy is masterful. Also, Whitecliff the Dog man, this old guy who does puppetry with taxidermied dogs—weird but wonderful.


8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I once put a heckler down really good in the front row. But he got the better of me. He just waited and waited, then ‘pow!’ out of the blue he jumped up and down trailed me when I wasn’t looking. It was a 60% successful down trail, and I think the front 3 rows may have got a glimpse of the tip. Full credit to him.


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
Last Laughs at last year’s festival. Getting to perform with the likes of Rhys Darby, Boy with Tape, Brendhan Lovegrove, in front of a big audience of my peers was super cool.


10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
Shem, the blind one armed Italian comedian. Probably cause I mentioned her 3 questions ago, but she’s also on my mind.

11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
Well, I probably shouldn’t promise anything, because it’s tentative, but I believe Shem is going to do 5 minutes at the top of my show. Not to be missed if it goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review A genre film mixing pulp thrills and a recreation of a 70s late night talk show, Late Night with the...