Saturday 20 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Markus Birdman

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Markus Birdman



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
My show is called ‘LOVE, LIFE & DEATH’

2)  Why?
Not so long ago, I suffered a stroke. That’ll make you think about the big issues. And none are bigger than love, life and death. And I felt this experience gave me the sense of self-importance and grandiosity required to tell you what you should think about them too! You’re welcome.


3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
Yep, it’s about Love. It’s about Life. It’s about Death. It’s about laughing in the face of it all. And it’s about an hour.

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
I have been whittling away at it, with the sense of purpose I assume Robin Hood employed, preparing arrows to win the heart of Maid Marian.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
On my 21st birthday I leapt off a nightclub balcony dressed as one half of a pantomime horse to the delight of the people below. Except the one I landed on, who sued, unsuccessfully, for damages.


6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
I wouldn’t mind seeing the other half of that pantomime horse. I haven’t seen him since my 21st birthday. And he still owes me 20 quid.

7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
In the UK, it is very healthy indeed. I work to my own rating system based on ancient astrological charts, medieval alchemy and a secret Ugandan recipe for soufflĂ©On that, the likes of Rhod Gilbert, Greg Davies, Andrew Bird and Stuart Goldsmith score huge. So I am very excited to see what NZ has to offer. If you’re all blazing like Boy with the Tape on his Face, I’m screwed!
I had lunch with the Boy and his new son recently. Neither are great conversationalists, but I was greatly entertained when he tried to eat his soup.

8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I once stole one of their identities. It was highly lucrative, but pretending to be a 72-year-old woman from Argentina is not without its challenges. Still, my tango is peerless within the comedy community.

9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
I walked the boards as a Snow White in a very avant-garde pantomime last Christmas. It was a difficult role to pull off. In fact I’m still on parole.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
I’m thinking, I hope no one in the NZ visa department saw that panto.

11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
Well the Scotsman said of it. “By the close of this hugely enjoyable, sharply structured hour I was feeling glad to be here – with small and big “H” – vowing to grab life by the balls. 4 stars”
Failing that, I’ll be grabbing people by the balls and marching them in.
Females are welcome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review A genre film mixing pulp thrills and a recreation of a 70s late night talk show, Late Night with the...