Saturday 20 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Andy Clay

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Andy Clay



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?Andy Clay’s Book of Love

2)  Why?Because it’s a show done in the form of chapters where I give my advice and opinions on love and related topics – plus I think the name is kind of catchy

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
Hints be damned – I’ll tell you exactly what it’s about. It’s me giving my tainted views on love, romance and other bits and pieces. I do this with the aid of my wonderful cast (Michael Saccente, Dane Dawson, Damien Avery and Shavaughn Ruakere) who act out my points in quick fire scenes


4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
Well we did this show 4 years ago so that’s not really been needed too much although rehearsals are underway so tweeking has and will happen as we have 2 new cast members – Shavaughn and Damien.


5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what’s your  memories of being 21?
I had just started doing stand up comedy so I spent most of 21 crapping my pants wondering why I had left my life in NZ to try to be a comedian in Australia




6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
Oh far too many to name. It really is a great time for a catch up with comedy friends from around the world or to meet new friends from foreign shores. In fact it can be too good a time if you know what I mean.


7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
The comedy scene seems very healthy at the moment. We’ve never had so many top quality comedians with high profiles in this country before. I can’t say who I rate because if I don’t mention someone then by implication I don’t rate them which may or may not be true – can of worms stuff that.


8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
Not sure if it’s the best but many years ago the then governor of the reserve bank Don Brash was in the front row – his son used to do a bit of stand up – I was MC and in between acts I got a piece of paper wrote “$20” on it, brought it out and asked him to sign it. Got a big laugh on the night


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?

Well I’ve just got back from a tour of South East Asia and I did a show at short notice in a Cambodian town called Siem Reap, 300km north of capital Phnom Penh to bar full of expats. It was such an odd place to be doing comedy but it went really well. I was only the 4th ever comedian to do a show in that town.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
 Far too many late nights


11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
Hopefully it goes without saying that it’s a funny show. I know that’s a fairly unoriginal thing to say but it’s pretty important for a comedy.

What stands out about this show is that it’s one of the few shows in the festival that’s not stand up although because it’s written by a stand up (me) and directed by a stand up (Jeremy Elwood) it’s got a very similar laughs per minute ratio. And finally this show will make you realise, whatever your gender, that you are not alone in not being able to understand the whole, relationship, girl/boy situation. This show however  may help you understand why you don’t understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Abigail: Movie Review

Abigail: Movie Review Cast: Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Alisha Weir, Kevin Durand, Kathryn Newton, Angus Cloud, Giancarlo Esposito, Willia...