Wednesday 24 July 2019

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - director Sophie Hyde, Animals

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - director Sophie Hyde, Animals


My film is....
A big collaboration with a lot of great people all providing details that make the feeling of the whole. It's a lot of fun, I think pleasurable to watch and also a bit expansive, or more expansive than is expected. 
The moment I'm most proud of is....
I'm not sure. 
The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is.....
Because they are characters and a situation that feels like it's been done a lot but not with a lot of nuance, I felt they should be on screen.
The one moment that will resonate with an audience is.......
The cocaine sex scene...no, the feeling of trying to work out your shit when your desires are so competing. 
NZIFF 2019 Q&A - director Sophie Hyde, Animals

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is........ 
The song "Buffalo stance" which was written into the script but didn't have a place in the movie
The thing I want people to take from this film is ...... 
That friendships can be inspiring, difficult and brilliant whether they exist for a moment, a day, a season or a lifetime. 
The reason I love the NZIFF is.......
Because of the great films on offer
What I want to see at this year's NZIFF is......
Well I don't want to see it but there is another film I produced called In My Blood It Runs which is beautiful and meaningful and mesmerising and disturbing and also hopeful - that would be my hot pick. 
The one thing I'd say to aspiring filmmakers is.....Be really rigorous  about what you want to say, who you want to say it to, how you want to say it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Anatomy of a Fall: Blu Ray Review

Anatomy of a Fall: Blu Ray Review A film that's about micro-aggressions, subtleties and nuance, Justine Triet's tale of a writer who...