Friday 19 July 2019

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Paloma Schneideman - Memory Foam (part of Short Connections)

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Paloma Schneideman - Memory Foam (part of Short Connections)


My film is....Memory Foam, a story about a middle aged married couple, who are shopping for a new bed, but as they shop it becomes obvious that their bed isn't the only thing they've out grown.

The moment I'm most proud of is.... The actor's rich and layered performances throughout.
NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Paloma Schneideman - Memory Foam (part of Short Connections)

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is..... 
Because I had signed a contract with the film commission saying I'd deliver a film... No I joke, I felt I needed to tell this story because it taps into so many universal truths about relationships, it was important for me to put this out to the universe so others can see themselves in it and maybe feel less alone in their complexities and experiences. Also having an amazing team of collaborators who believed in the work drove the desire and motivation to get it made.

The one moment that will resonate with an audience is....... The whole thing is intended to resonate with the audience, if you haven't experienced it first had you definitely would have witnessed a relationship like this. Ultimately, I guess  it's that disconnect between two people for no obvious reason, but still a foundation of love that binds you together - I think that will most resonate with an audience.

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is........
The endless hilarious improvs the actors were offering up. If I had it my way it'd be 25 minutes longer.

The thing I want people to take from this film is ...... 
It's hard to say because even as the writer/director, I can't predict the fate of our protagonists, so I don't know how a viewer will feel about that lack of resolution.. I hope there's lots of post viewing conversation around relationships, love, connection. I want this film to hold up a mirror for self-reflection, and if they find themselves stuck in something, maybe they will find the courage to change their circumstance.

The reason I love the NZIFF is.......
The diversity it represents and making foreign and arthouse cinema more accessible. The celebration of cinema from Aotearoa.

What I want to see at this year's NZIFF is......
Portrait of a Lady on Fire... I'm here for CĂ©line Sciamma and any films told with a female sensibility.

The one thing I'd say to aspiring filmmakers is….. Even if you don't get funding, even if you shoot it on your iphone,  Tell the story you were put on this earth to tell. Tell the story you have the right to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Bad Behaviour: DVD Review

Bad Behaviour: DVD Review Writer, director and executive producer Alice Englert may have taken on a little too much in this scrappy, messy f...