Tuesday 16 July 2019

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Tony Sutorius, director of Helen Kelly - Together

NZIFF 2019 Q&A -  Tony Sutorius, director of  Helen Kelly - Together


My film is….
Helen Kelly - Together


The moment I'm most proud of is....
My craft goal as a filmmaker is to bring the film alive visually to the point where it starts speaking emotionally, without words, so that the whole audience are travelling a similar journey within themselves. That happens in several places in "Together" I hope... probably best I don't spoil it by saying exactly when!
NZIFF 2019 Q&A -  Tony Sutorius, director of  Helen Kelly - Together

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is.....
It's a big thing to seek the responsibility to be a part of someone's life for a long time, and to tell their story. I was very aware that many people would have loved the opportunity to have been with Helen at that time, even just to hang out. My rationale was, at least I'd be allowing others to share the experience by watching the film. With that cheque written there was no question of walking away, even when it got tough (and it certainly did).

The one moment that will resonate with an audience is.......
I hope there are many such moments. 

Helen was extraordinarily open to everyone around her, and very giving. My small test audiences have reacted very strongly to sharing her empathy with the many people she helped to find their strength. 

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is........ 
Ha... again, there were many. Early cuts of the film went further in telling the background stories around Helen, which I'd dearly like audiences to know about, but it was simply too much weight for my central story to bear. Perhaps there are other films or extended special features waiting there ti be made later; we'll see!

The thing I want people to take from this film is ...... 
This film allows you to travel intimately alongside a really remarkable New Zealander, as she not just takes on some huge battles on behalf of others, but battles cancer herself.

In many ways Helen's positivity, bravery, outspokeness, indifference to whether her sense of justice was popular or not, her generous and loving friendship and her humour represent many attributes most New Zealanders would like to think we share.

I hope that watching someone who really does live this way invites us all to check in with the way our own lives truly express our values into the world.

The reason I love the NZIFF is.......
NZIFF is a critical, energetic pillar of the New Zealand film scene. They have provided a critical support to my career over the years, always reliably driven by none of the status symbol our industry is sometimes prone too; they just value good films, however they came into existence. 

What I want to see at this year's NZIFF is......

AUDIENCES! Get off Netflix for a couple of weeks and come see some great films the way they are best enjoyed... in an audience. This shared emotional journey is a whole other thing.

The one thing I'd say to aspiring filmmakers is.....
We're all aspiring filmmakers. Just focus on putting all you have into the film right in front of you, don't get too distracted by the meaninglessness of "being" a filmmaker. It's best treated as a verb, not a noun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Wonka: Blu Ray Review

Wonka: Blu Ray Review  Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Calah Lane, Keegan-Michael Key, Paterson Joseph, Matt Lucas, Mathew Baynton, Sally Hawkins, ...