Thursday 18 July 2019

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Harvey Hayes director of Biggie & Shrimp – part of Short Connections

NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Harvey Hayes director of Biggie & Shrimp – part of Short Connections


My film is…. 
Biggie & Shrimp - a coming-of-age short film set on an Auckland housing estate tackling the issues of toxic masculinity and self-identity. 

The moment I'm most proud of is….
Deciding I’d fund it myself and get it made. 

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is…
It had been burnt into my mind for almost 2 years and I needed to see it on screen, for my own sanity. 

The one moment that will resonate with an audience is…
Biggie revealing his inner turmoil. 

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is....
Nothing major had to be cut from the film in the edit, it’s all as scripted. However, during filming our interiors I did have to make the decision to drop a scene, due to being behind schedule. Fortunately the film didn’t suffer from it.
NZIFF 2019 Q&A - Harvey Hayes director of Biggie & Shrimp – part of Short Connections


The thing I want people to take from this film is ...
Finding and having the courage to be yourself is the key to it all.

The reason I love the NZIFF is…….
It showcases a wide variety of world-class international features and documentaries whilst also giving local filmmakers an opportunity to screen in front of the same audience. 

What I want to see at this year's NZIFF is……
Nightingale looks excellent, and Koyaanisqatsi on the big screen will be a sensory journey. 

The one thing I'd say to aspiring filmmakers is…..
If you’ve got an idea you believe in, as a filmmaker starting out, it really comes down to you and your determination to get it made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

What's on Disney+ in May

What's on Disney+ in May Here’s everything coming to Disney+ in May 2024. 11 May Doctor Who Disney+ Original Series Premiere The Doctor ...