Saturday 27 July 2019

NZIFF 2019 Q&A Justin Pemberton, director of Capital In The Twenty-First Century

NZIFF 2019 Q&A Justin Pemberton, director of Capital In The Twenty-First Century


My film is....Capital In The Twenty-First Century
The moment I'm most proud of is....
A scene with a young Margaret Thatcher where she says, “I don’t think there’ll be a woman prime minster in my lifetime”. She’s a poster child for the post-war era of high social mobility - an ordinary shopkeeper's daughter from the North who becomes Britain's first female prime minister and very wealthy. 

NZIFF 2019 Q&A Justin Pemberton, director of Capital In The Twenty-First Century

The reason I carried on with this film when it got tough is.....Because the only way out is through.
The one moment that will resonate with an audience is.......
The rigged game of monopoly. It’s a simple but powerful experiment by a psychologist who shows some remarkable behaviours changes in people.

The hardest thing I had to cut from this film is........ 
Bitch Better Have My Money by Rhianna - we played with the track in an early cut but it was impossibly expensive to clear the rights. Thankfully there’s loads of other great pop-culture moments I did get to use in the movie, so I don’t miss it. 
The thing I want people to take from this film is ...... 
To see how our relationship with capital has changed over time and get people talking about how it needs to change again.

The reason I love the NZIFF is.......
It’s the prefect excuse to slack off work and to over-indulge in film... plus there’s always a great collection of docos.

What I want to see at this year's NZIFF is......
Amazing Grace, Meeting Gorbachev,  Sorry We Missed You, Where’s My Roy Cohn?

The one thing I'd say to aspiring filmmakers is.....
Always be able to tell your story in one sentence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review Cast: Cailee Spaeny, Jacob Elordi Director: Sofia Coppola Adapted from Priscilla Presley's own memoir Elvis an...